Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Great Night Sleep (other than waking up twice to test)

Hello!  I have created this blog so that mothers and family members of diabetics can share thoughts, ideas, information, lack of sleep, and feelings.

Juvenile Diabetes is a journey, not just for the diabetic but for all family members and especially the person who is the chief caregiver.  This will be a long blog so forgive me.

Our journey started in June of 2008.  David, our youngest, was almost 6.  We were having the typical summer!  Camps were scheduled and going for each of our four children.  What seemed like it would be a typical summer became anything but...  David started having some symptoms that concerned me and I started a journal of what I was seeing.  Then I started researching the web.  Within 24 hours I was in the pediatricians office on a Sunday, and David was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes.  For the next 2.5 days, we stayed at Levine Children's Hospital in Charlotte.  Life had changed.

First let me say, I am thankful that this is something that, although currently not curable, it is possible to live a fairly normal life with this disease.  For the most part David does exceptionally well.  But as all mothers know, it is a constant battle.  2 plus 2 should always equal 4!!!!  But not with juvenile diabetes.

Thus, my sleepless nights...  since David was diagnosed, I wake up every night to  test him (around 2am).  This comes from a person who is a heavy sleeper.  HA HA HA.  Most nights I test him at 11ish, before I go to sleep, and then again at 2 am.  We get up for school at 5:40 am and test again.  Last night, I actually went to bed at 9:30.  (VERY UNUSUAL) Thus I set the alarm for 11:30 to test and then again at 2:30 am. I guess you could say I am a little phobic about him going low in the middle of the night.

So I am thrilled that I actually slept about 8 hours... give or take getting up to test.

No comments:

Post a Comment